Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shreveport neighborhood buzz

Timing was interesting on this recent article by Times reporter Jane Bokun. It's about the new NoSo Neighborhood Association. NoSo stands for North-South Highlands. And you can't help but note its similarity to hip neighborhoods in bigger cities: SoHo in Manhattan and SoCo in Austin, Texas.

Generally positive comments on the article got me reading. Recent conversations I've had in and out of the newsroom kept me reading. One of the anonymous commenters questioned South Highlands' boundaries. (NoSo is between Line and Fairfield avenues from Kings Highway to McCormick Street. For The Times' identification purposes, we generally define the neighborhood as running from Kings Highway to Pierremont Road.) I was with a friend showing an out-of-towner around over the weekend, and the borderline between Highland and South Highlands was a question then, too.

For those of you who don't care about my personal thoughts and conversations, here's something that you can consider: I'm planning to incorporate more neighborhood issues into my coverage. That's through some of my own ideas plus conversations with editors and readers. So look for that. Feel free to give me your thoughts before the new effort rolls out.

On that note, here's the new Web site from the South Highlands Neihborhood Association. Group President Ellen White caught Bokun's article, too, and contacted both of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment